In Puerto de la Cruz, there is no time to be bored, every month we have festivals and important events. And with each you know a little more of the history and traditions of our beautiful city. In Apartments Ambassador we love to spread its story and this May is a very important moment for it, since the foundational celebrations of Puerto de la Cruz take place. A perfect time to review its origins.
The foundational festivities of Puerto de la Cruz are celebrated every year on May 3. It was on this date but the year 1651 when he the first village headman took its office.
However, it was not until the early nineteenth century when it was founded as a municipality and July 26, 1956 when it was founded as a city.
The most important acts of the founding festivities of Puerto de la Cruz
Both on May 3 as the days before are usually are held various festivities in commemoration of the founding of Puerto de la Cruz, but the most important events every year are usually the solemn Mass, which is continued with a procession with the Cross of Silver and at the end you can attend a pyrotechnical show.
It is also tradition on this dates to observe the beautiful floral decorations that adorn some chapels of Puerto de la Cruz throughout the city. The portuenses put all their efforts on getting the most beautiful creation, as if it was a competition to win the admiration of people who often remain observing amazed with the works of art.
It is said that the term of Port of the “Cross” came from the cross on the side of the facade of the Casa de la Aduana. Although this was the first, there were many more crosses scattered throughout the town, in hermitages and in private homes, which are sometimes placed due to unfortunate events as accidents or violent deaths, other symbolizing the junction of several roads and sometimes symbolizing the population limit.
Foundational festivities 2016
For this year 2016 are prepared a series of events throughout the weekend:
- Sunday 1: Festivities in honor of the Cruz de San Luis 2016 in the neighborhood of Los Nidos: From morning bouncy castles at 10.30, followed by zumba classes, at 16.30 hours a festival of varieties and at 9 pm Karaoke with DJ Maxi..
- Monday 2:
- Also in the neighborhood of the Nidos at 14.00 childrens games, at 8 pm will be held the Mass followed by the procession, with a fireworks display to complete the act and continuing with the party from 22 pm with the mobile disco DJ Maxi.
- In the Street La Peñita will also take place the commemorative acts of the 250th anniversary of the chapel of El Calvario. From 5 pm the inauguration of the floral adornment of the Cross of the Chapel of El Calvario, a performance by the band of bugles and drums Nuestra Señora de la Peña de Francia, as well as the opening of the exhibition of models of chapels of crosses and old photographs of the chapel del Calvario and its brotherhood. An hour later, at 6 pm will perform the folk group Los Doniz and at 8 pm the concert by the band of Puerto de la Cruz
- Tuesday 3:
- On the final day you can find in the neighborhood of Los Nidos children games at noon and at 2 pm the great paella.
- In Calle Mequinez and on the square Pérez Galdós will be an exhibition of free designed crosses from 11 am.
- At the Iglesia Nuestra Señora de la Peña de Francia, a Mass in honor of the Santa Cruz at 11 am, followed by a procession from 12 noon that starts in that church, through the streets La Hoya, Zamora, Santo Domingo, San Felipe, Mazorco, El Lomo, Teobaldo Power, Doctor Ingram, Iriarte, San Juan, Luis de la Cruz, Cólogan, and finally returns to the church.
If you want to surround yourself with the portuenses and learn a little more about the culture of the city, you should not miss the opportunity to visit some of the events scheduled in these foundational festivities of Puerto de la Cruz.