The International Carnival of Puerto de la Cruz 2017 is full of laughter, fun and events that will fill the streets of this historic city with colorful, joyful and festive atmosphere.
The Carnivals of the Canary Islands
The Canary Islands are synonymous with Carnival and are probably the most popular carnivals in the world, after those of Rio de Janeiro in Brazil.
Within the Canary Islands, the Carnivals of Santa Cruz de Tenerife and Las Palmas de Gran Canaria are the most famous and those that attract the great mass of people. However, also the Carnival of Puerto de la Cruz is surprising and getting more and more famous, as well as locally, nationally and internationally.
Despite being a smaller Carnival than the ones celebrated in the capitals of both Canarian provinces, the Carnival of Puerto de la Cruz has great attractions to enjoy.
Program of the International Carnival of Puerto de la Cruz
All the carnivals have a special theme that surrounds the parties and serves as inspiration for the costumes that can be chosen by the people who go out to celebrate, as well as for the artist who develops the Announcing Cartel. In the case of the International Carnival of Puerto de la Cruz 2017, the chosen theme has been “The Circus”.
The International Carnival of Puerto de la Cruz will be held in this year 2017 between February 19 and March 5 and will have the following program of activities:
- The Carnival of Puerto de la Cruz will begin on Sunday, February 19 with the Election of the Children Queen.
- Then, on Thursday, February 23rd, it will be the turn to choose the Adult Queen of the International Carnival of Puerto de la Cruz 2017.
- On Saturday, February 25, Carnival it will start on the street of Puerto de la Cruz, with the announcing parade.
- On Tuesday, February 28, a picturesque classic car Rally will take place, called Rally del Valle
- On Wednesday, March 1, it will be the day of the sardine burial.
- On Friday, March 3, the crazy and funny “Mascarita Ponte Tacón” men’s race will take place, a race in which male participants will have to reach the finish line in the shortest time possible. Amd this with hells 8 centimeters of height and overcoming multitude of obstacles that will make the race even more difficult for the intrepid contestants.
- On Saturday, March 4 will be the turn of the great coso – apotheosis of the Carnival. In it there will also be comparsas, murgas and floats that will fill the streets of Puerto de la Cruz with joy and fun. In this great apotheosis of Carnival, as usual, will be invited delegations from other countries, such as Germany, whose presence in the Carnival of Puerto de la Cruz is already a tradition rather than ingrained.
- And on Sunday 5 March, the International Carnival of Puerto de la Cruz 2017 will be concluded.
Culture of Carnival in the Canary Islands
Although the Carnival days are grouped in between three or four weeks a year, the fact is that many Canaries live the Carnival for almost the entire year.
On the one hand, many begin to make their costumes converted into works of art, already months before, since they require many hours of elaboration in some cases. The purpose is that when the day comes, their disguise is as fun as possible and they can impress and have fun with their friends, relatives and the largest number of people on the street.
On the other hand, the Canarians who are part of a group that participates in the competitions of the Carnival, as is the case of the murgas or comparsas, train for most of the year to get the best possible performance that ensures one of the first places.
The rise of the importance of the Carnival of Puerto de la Cruz
Each year more people are interested in the Carnival of Puerto de la Cruz, both tourists and the canarians themselves. Proof of it is that last year for the first time we had the Summer Carnival of Puerto de la Cruz during the days 16,17 and 18 of September, being an advance of what would bring this Carnival that is about to begin, and as a showcase to promote this party in boom in Puerto de la Cruz.
Would you like to live in person the International Carnival of Puerto de la Cruz?
If you are thinking of visiting Puerto de la Cruz at this time, and would like to live in the first person the carnivals of the Canary Islands and more specifically the International Carnival of Puerto de la Cruz, we invite you to stay in our newly renovated Ambassador Apartments. Here in addition to being able to enjoy the carnivals, you can also rest and relax when you want, as they are located in a perfect place for it.
Book now and do not miss the chance to get to know more about the carnivals of the Canary Islands and the International Carnival of Puerto de la Cruz.
More information that may be of interest to you
Puerto de la Cruz is a lively city that does not stop to celebrate events and parties almost every month, filling its streets with life, joy and color.
If in addition to coming to Puerto de la Cruz to know its beautiful streets, history and beaches, you would also like to see some popular celebration during your stay, you can review some of the following celebrations:
- The White Night of Puerto de la Cruz, (usually held in October)
- Oktoberfest in Puerto de la Cruz, a well-deserved homage to German culture, where you can enjoy gastronomy and popular music in the city.
- Festivities of July of Puerto de la Cruz.
- The night of the bonfires on the Eve of San Juan in Puerto de la Cruz (June)
- Festival Mueca, the urban art festival of Puerto de la Cruz (May)
- The ingrained tradition of the Virgin of Carmen in Puerto de la Cruz.
- Romerías de Tenerife, which take place throughout most of the year in the cities and towns of Tenerife.
As you can see, if you like to know the popular festivals ,you have many more options besides the International Carnival of Puerto de la Cruz.
We look forward to seeing you in the streets of Puerto de la Cruz and the Ambassador Apartments!