Loro Parque is not just any theme park, and even if you think you’re more into other kind of sightseeing, there are many reasons why you should reserve a space during your stay in Tenerife for a visit. It is located in Puerto de la Cruz, near Playa Jardin, recreating the natural habitat of animals and offering wonderful performances for tourists and locals.
The Loro Parque first opened in the Canary Islands in 1972 with more than 150 parrots, and has been growing year after year, including new species to become the best zoo in Europe, and second in the world, according to TripAdvisor users.
Here we tell you everything you need to know about it and give you useful information about your visit. You only have to chose date and hour, and enjoy the animal world in the Canary paradise!
Wide variety of species
The Loro Parque houses within countless animal species, from large orcas to small titís, each inhabits a space that recreates the natural conditions in which they live in the outside world.
If you walk along its paths you will see:
- capybaras (largest rodents in the world)
- Sea lions
Yes, as you read. And all stroll freely in their pools and gardens. But this is not all, there are also sharks, manta rays and all kinds of aquatic animals, and you can walk through an incredible tunnel and see them swim as if there weren’t a lot of people watching them from below. The feeling is amazing.
If something is special about the Loro Parque it is that, in addition to the natural and idyllic atmosphere that recreates, it is not a usual zoo in which you can walk around and see animals here and there, eating, resting or socializing with their peers. The Loro Parque also offers exhibits that demonstrate how well they can get along with us and how funny they are, our furry friends (or marine, or flying, … here is a little bit of all).
Some of the highlights include:
- Katandra Treetops. It’s like going into the jungle. Tropical vegetation, humidity, and a strong smell of eucalyptus plants, enclosing one of the largest free-flight aviaries in the world. Unless you’ve been lucky enough to be in the middle of a jungle, we guarantee you’ve never experienced anything like it.
- Orca Ocean. It is a facility designed for the welfare of orcas living there, considered the most modern and innovative in the world, and allows teaching visitors how these large marine mammals are entire intelligence and majesty.
- Planet Penguin. If Katandra Treetops recreates the jungle, Planet Penguin does the same with the Antarctic and, in fact, is considered the largest and most realistic artificial Antarctic environment in the world. More than 200 penguins a walk calmly in it, as though they were thousands of kilometers away from the coastal and temperate Puerto de la Cruz
- Aquaviva. This attraction is relatively new and, as you can guess, involves jellyfish! It is spectacular, a beauty that does not seem real, and Loro Parque is the only place you can enjoy it. If you still had your doubts, surely they end up dissipating in one fell swoop.
And on top of these displays of the grandiosity of the animal world, there are the classic shows of parrots, dolphins and sea lions. Typical for the Loro Parque for many years, but they never disappoint, not even repeat visitors (because yes, it is an experience that makes you repeat).
Loro Parque, besides a zoo, is a large collection of tropical plant species, among which are walking while watching how develops the day of the animals in their habitats.
Scattered throughout the site, you can glimpse beautiful orchids, cactus, dragon trees and other very long-lived trees, palm trees (there are more than 2000 different types from around the world), …
Nor can you miss the so-called Jungle, the oldest vegetation zone around the park.
Commitment to the animal world
One of the most interesting facets of Loro Parque is their concern and commitment to the animal world, why in 1994 Loro Parque Foundation was founded, an institution that is responsible for the protection, conservation and recovery of species at risk of extinction.
With Animal Embassy, visitors can see how various scientists work at the clinic and in the laboratory of the park. And this is where the Max Plank Institute has set up its research center, from which cognitive studies are performed with parrots.
Visit the Loro Parque
And now you know a few things about this amazing zoo in the north of Tenerife, you just need to know the information about your visits: schedules, prices, deals, …
Well, take note:
- It is open every day from Monday to Sunday between 8:30 am and 18:45 pm, and the chances are that you stay inside most of the day (there is much, much to do ).
- Surely what interests you is the standard price for non-residents: adults pay 34 euros and children 23.
- But there is another option, which allows you to save some money, if you also think to go to the water park Siam Park in the south of the island. It’s called Twin Ticket and allows you to pay for entry to both venues, only 58 euros (and children 39,50).
And voila! The Loro Parque awaits you, and assures you that what you see within its walls will be undoubtedly impressive.