For all hikers, we share a list of the best hiking trails in North Tenerife, definitely the most lush green part of the island where you can enjoy the best scenery and nature, testing your senses and maximizing the possibilities that offers you Tenerife.
With each path that we discuss below you will find a link to one of the best sites for walkers and cyclists where you can find detailed information on each route.
Trail of Barranco de Masca
One of the most famous trails of the island and well worth it, despite being in one of the most remote places of Tenerife, the area Masca. The trail is rewarded in the end zone with the arrival at Masca Beach, a beach which is only accessible by canoe or boat that connects with the marina which is located in Los Gigantes. If you are a fan of active tourism and are in good physical shape, you can combine the path with the kayak to finally reach the marina and take the bus or the car there. Before embarking on the journey of descent into the gorge, make sure the ship service is not suspended. It is a journey of 11 kilometers with a moderate difficulty and you have to have some caution in some sections. Here you get more travel information.
Trail at Cruz del Carmen
The area of the Cruz del Carmen is one of the most beautiful and best prepared for hiking on the island. Also in the beginning of all the paths and the parking you can check all information about trails in this area and they advise you on the difficulty and length of the path you’re looking for. It is also an area with a spectacular and lush vegetation. Within the area of Cruz del Carmen we can recommend these three routes.
Cruz del Carmen – Zapata – Batán de Arriba
A circular trail of moderate difficulty and with very attractive views. You’ll have to overcome a steep climb in halfway, but definitely worth it. Highly recommended this path of over 9 kilometers in length, of which you can see all the details here.
Pista las Yedras
A simple path to stroll in the middle of vegetation and enjoying the environment. It is a circular trail so it doesn’t take you any difficulties and you can enjoy a pleasant walk. You can get additional information here.
Sendero de los sentidos (Path of the senses)
An extremely simple path and with an attractive name. During the tour you find experiences through some of your senses: smell, touch and sight. On the way you will find information panels inviting you to interact with the environment and discovering and testing your senses. It is very simple and short, especially suitable for those who do not want to spend much time with a tour but wish to enjoy the nature that offers Tenerife its inhabitants and visitors. More information on this path here.
Bosque encantado (Enchanted Forest)
Do not worry, despite its name you will not find any ghost walking down this path. Its name is due to the way in which the trees grow, steep, thin, some of them almost reclining along the route. You’ll have to walk carefully, watch your head occasionally and please do not trip over any of their trunks. A simple and safe route, it is also circular and family can enjoy it. It is 8 kilometers long and takes about two hours to complete. Get all the information here.
From Puerto de la Cruz to Playa del Socorro
A good way to visit Playa del Socorro, and doing sports is walking or hiking from Puerto de la Cruz. A simple path of three hours, not circular, which will require you to take a bus back to get to Puerto but it’s worth as an alternative way to discover a beach more this area of the island as you stroll along the coast and mountain. Click here for more travel information.
Tips before you start a route
Finally we want to give you a few tips so you won´t have any setbacks and can fully enjoy your way around some of the trails of the island.
- It is important that especially if you’re going to do some walking in summer, always carry with you a bottle of water, because sometimes there are seasons when heat waves are common and it is always very important to go well hydrated.
- Use the marked trails to avoid losing yourself. The island of Tenerife has many trails and most of them are well signposted. If you are a tourist and do not know the area well, please do not make the mistake of venturing on routes that are not marked. You should always follow the directions.
- Before starting the path by the chosen route, get the facts, especially in tourist information points where they can give information about the route you want to do and precautions you have to take.
- Always use the right shoes for these walks. Sometimes you may find more complex routes and where you must take special care, or even wet areas where it will be easy to slip. With proper footwear we can avoid problems when hiking.
- Do not take adventures in caves which are unmarked or not enabled for hiking. As you know, Tenerife is a mountainous island and has an extensive network of tunnels and caves, some of which are not enabled to walk in them, and even dangerous, because of the circulating volcanic gases which are harmful and which can be very dangerous if you inhale, sometimes you do not even realize you’re breathing noxious gases.
- Always carry your mobile phone with you, if despite all this, you get lost or some mishap occurs.
These are just some of the best trails in North Tenerife, but there are plenty of them that we will discover little by little to inform you of the best.