Puerto de la Cruz is a city that wants its traditions not forgotten, and it is working on promoting some of its signs of identity to remain in the collective memory of its inhabitants.
The characteristic features of Puerto de la Cruz found an economy where the primary sector has been very important, and the work of the portuenses craftsmen, who over time have used materials such as wool to create textiles of great quality.
For this reason is held the Festival of Wool in Puerto de la Cruz. On this occasion, 17 craftsmen have been registered for the event, who will have a great opportunity to develop the marketing of this material and improve the knowledge of it in the population.
The III Festival of Wool will take place in various parts of Puerto de la Cruz, including the Archaeological Museum, the House of Youth, Fleming Hall, the Museum of Contemporary Art and the Institute of Hispanic Studies between 13 and 19 June, along which will take place exhibitions, workshops, documentaries, and other events which will seek to encourage this sector.
On the final day, will take place along Calle Mequinez the sheep shearing and the rest of the manufacturing process of the wool from washing, passing through the carding, spinning and weaving on looms.
In addition, you can also enjoy various exhibitions of traditional clothing made with this material characteristic of our islands in past years.
Other traditional activities of the Canary Islands will also take place for the Festival of Wool such as the Salto del pastor and Silbo Gomero on the esplanade of the fishing pier.
Products derived from wool also fuse with food products obtained from products derived from sheep, which you can sample at Calle Mequinez.
Various folk groups will also be given an appointment at the event, which will aim to liven up the day with typical Canarian dances and even transport us to the time when the garments from wool were common among tinerfeños.
Here we show in detail the events that take place during this week dedicated to wool in Puerto de la Cruz.
Calendar of events wool Festival in Puerto de la Cruz
From June 13th to June 16th
- Exhibition of “Labyrinths of Wool” of Maria Hurtado and sale from 10 am to 2 pm in the Museum of Contemporary Art Eduardo Westerdahl MACEW (Casa de la aduana)
From June 13th to June 17th
- Workshop on treatment of wool (Part One). Exhibition and sales from 4.30 pm to 6.30 pm at the Archaeological Museum
- Exhibition and sale of handicrafts at the Arte de la Casa de la Juventud y La Ranilla Espacio Cultural.
- Exhibition “Nómada” by Carmen Marcuello and sale from 4.30pm to 9 pm in Sala de Exposiciones FLEMING 4
- Crocheting from 5 pm to 8 in the Plaza de la Iglesia de la Peña of France
- Conference on entrepreneurship in textile crafts related to wool at 6.30pm in Sala de arte de la Casa de la Juventud.
- Screening of the documentary “Training sheepdogs” in the Biblioteca Municipal Tomás de Iriarte
- Crocheting from 5 pm to 8pm in the Plaza Concejil.
- Screening of the film “Rams, el valle de los carneros” at 7.30 pm at the Instituto de Estudios Hispánicos.
- Conference at 6.30 pm on canarian clothing at the Biblioteca Municipal Tomás de Iriarte.
- Crocheting from 5 pm to 8pm in the Plaza Víctor Pérez
- Workshop on natural dyes between 4.30 pm and 6.30 at the Museo Arqueológico.
- Second part of the workshop on treatment of wool, with exhibition and sale from 4:30 pm to 6:30 pm in the Sala de Exposiciones FLEMING.
- Conference on opportunities to develop a textile trade related wool, design and pattern making, at 6.30 pm in the Sala de arte de la Casa de la Juventud.
- In the Instituto de Estudios Hispánicos at 8 pm, conference on “La defensa de los animales y el pastoreo”
- Crocheting from 5 pm to 8pm in the Plaza de la Iglesia de Santa Rita.
- Workshop of wool from 5pm to 8 pm in the Biblioteca Municipal Tomás de Iriarte.
- Crocheting from 5 pm to 8pm in the Plaza del Charco .
- Exhibition on the bathing of the goats in Puerto de la Cruz in La Ranilla Espacio Cultural.
- Exhibition on traditional Canarian clothing related to wool at 11 am in Calle Mequinez.
- Shearing sheep in Meknes Street at 11 am, 1.30pm, 4 pm and 5 pm.
- Salto del pastor and Silbo Gomero at 12 am on the esplanade of the dock
- Folk dances, exhibition of traditional Canarian dress in Calle Mequinez at 6 pm.
If you are in the Puerto de la Cruz at this time, you have a golden opportunity to get even closer to the cultural traditions of the island through crafts and animal husbandry, thanks to Wool Festival.