It is likely that if you are planning a long holiday on the Canary Islands, you are thinking of visiting more than one island on your trip, so let’s review the ways you have to get around the Canary Islands.
But first of all, we want you to know that if one of your destinations is the island of Tenerife, you may be interested in knowing in advance the main differences between the south and the north of Tenerife. If you finally believe that the north of Tenerife is the area that best suits your tastes, we invite you to stay in our newly renovated Ambassador Apartments, and know the beautiful city of Puerto de la Cruz and its surroundings.
Also, in order to better plan what islands are to be part of your destination, you must know the most important particularities of each one to choose which of them you are going to visit.
The identity of each of the Canary Islands
- The island of Tenerife is a very beautiful island in which to find great contrasts on a relatively small surface: abundant areas of vegetation with beautiful trails, as well as volcanic beaches of black sand in the north, arid zones and white sand beaches in the South, emblematic and tourist cities like Puerto de la Cruz, and of course, the majestic Teide, the highest mountain in Spain, reigning over all the municipalities of the island.
- La Palma, on the other hand, is a paradise for lovers of hiking and nature.
- La Gomera also has beautiful scenery perfect for hiking, and probably one of the islands where you can enjoy most the Canarian gastronomy.
- El Hierro is perfect for water sports thanks to its beautiful seabed, as well as an ideal island for those seeking tranquility and getting away from the crowds as much as possible.
- Gran Canaria probably has the most cosmopolitan city of all the Canary Islands, in addition to the spectacular landscape of the dunes of Maspalomas.
- Finally, Fuerteventura and Lanzarote are the perfect islands for those who want to enjoy crystal clear waters, beaches that are lost on the horizon, volcanic landscapes and also if you like to practice sports like surfing or windsurfing.
Possibilities of transport to travel between the Canary Islands
Transfer between the Canary Islands by plane
Because the Canary Islands are one of the key points of tourism worldwide, we are fortunate to have eight airports spread among the seven Canary Islands, since in Tenerife we have an airport in the south and another in the north of the island.
Thanks to this, you can always have at your disposal the option of moving quickly from one island to another, taking into account that it will probably last as long as an hour and an hour and a half in order to move between any of the Canary Islands. (Depending on your island of origin and destination, it is likely that on the way you need to do a small stopover along the way)
To travel between Canary Islands by plane, there are currently two companies: Binter Canarias and CanaryFly.
Moving between the Canary Islands by boat
If you are one of the people who like to avoid heights as much as possible, or simply want to save on your trip, you have the option of moving between the Canary Islands by boat, which is the most economical option.
The most recognized lines to navigate between islands by boat are Naviera Armas and Fred Olsen.
On the island of Tenerife we have two different ports, having to leave from one or the other depending on the island to which you have decided to move from here. These ports are located in the south of the island, specifically in the municipality of Los Cristianos, and another in the capital, Santa Cruz de Tenerife.
If you are on the islands of Fuerteventura or Lanzarote and you want to move between these islands or visit the small island of La Graciosa that is a few kilometers from the island of Lanzarote, you also have other smaller shipping companies that offer travel between these Islands
Moving on the islands by car
Once you arrive at any of the airports of our Canary Islands, you will have the possibility to rent a car to travel around the island, something that we recommend totally if your intention is to know in depth the most beautiful places of the Canary Islands.
As you can see, if you are going to spend a long time on the Canary Islands and want to take advantage of your trip to know more about an island, you have many options to move between them, both by boat and plane.
If you plan well and in advance, this trip will be economical and you will be able to know many of the numerous wonders that are waiting for you on the Canary Islands.
You may also be interested in
In our blog you can find much more information that can be useful to you when planning the places that you are going to visit on your future trip to the Canary Islands.
First you can visit the section of our page where we talk about places to see in Puerto de la Cruz and surroundings.
Secondly, if you are a tourist adapted to the new technologies, surely you will like to take a look at the post where we talk about the mobile applications essential for a trip to Tenerife, or browse the accounts of Instagram with which you can know a little more the island.
And finally, in case you do not have a car during your visit to Tenerife, we encourage you to visit the post on how to move on Tenerife if you do not have a car, where you will find useful information about public transport and scheduled excursions.
From the Ambassador Apartments we hope that this article has helped you to know a little better the options you have when moving between the Canary Islands, and we hope to see you soon here on the Canaries, and even better if it is in Puerto de la Cruz and our apartments.
We can only wish you a very happy trip to the Canary Islands.